Mortimor Hall Circa
Mortimor Hall was built by C.M. Bishop, a
local successful merchant. In 1868 C.M.
Bishop and Co. had opened a dry goods store in Rowlesburg but later moved to
Kingwood. In the early 1870’s streets
and roads were a big problem. The
streets in town, after a thaw were nothing but mud. On March 14 1872, the town council adopted a
resolution to improve the sidewalks and streets. Following this resolution homes could not be
built fast enough and with Mr. McCafferty as contractor The Charles M. Bishop
house was built. A Greek-Italian style
porch was added in 1878 to the Traditional Colonial architecture of the mansion
at a cost of two thousand eight hundred dollars. On November 7th of 1899 Mr. Bishop
married Miss Fanny Emma Brown at the home of William G. Brown. Mrs. Bishop insisted her home being called
Mortimor Hall after her husband’s middle name.
The Preston County School system
was formed in 1933 at which time the house was bought from the Bishop family
and used as an office by the Preston County Board of Education. In the Fall of 2000 the BOE moved to a new
location and the house was renovated.
Today Mortimor Hall serves as an
exquisite setting for Weddings, Reunions, Rehearsal Dinners, Business Meetings
or Social Luncheons. With a capacity of
300 and a trained Culinary staff we can accommodate any needs.
CUSTOMIZED MENUS FUNERAL RECEPTION SOCIAL LUNCHEONS
REHEARSAL DINNERS ANNIVERSARIES CLASS REUNIONS BIRTHDAYS
BUSINESS FUNCTIONS FAMILY REUNIONS WEDDING RECEPTIONS PICNICS
122 East High Street Kingwood, West Virginia